Continuing my foray into the Columbus beer scene, I found Endeavor Brewing Company and decided to stop in to finish off my night. Less world renowned than my previous review in Columbus, Endeavor fits the bill as a true craft microbrewery. I will say, if this is what the beer scene is like throughout the city, then Columbus has a future as a beer hot spot. So, grab a beer and join me as I endeavor to bring you a review of another entry in Ohio’s craft beer scene.
- Beer – While the tap list is smaller, at least compared to some places, they do a good job of providing lots of different styles for most palates. From stouts to IPAs, a lager to a Belgian tripel, their brews are well crafted with a great attention to the fundamentals. As a bonus, they nitro a few of their beers, giving them that creamy mouth-feel that I love so much (for the record, you will always win me over with a nitro stout). While a few other more exotic offerings, such as a sour or unique ingredient brew, would have been nice to see, I was happy with what was on tap and would certainly have taken a growler of their stout home if I was not getting on a plane the next day. Score: 3.5/5
- Brewery – Open and airy, with a minimalist design, Edison lamps, and tasteful wood accents. The tap room is big without feeling cavernous, with a decent amount of seating scattered around the large bar. The outdoor area is spacious with plenty of tables overlooking the sidewalk and street. While they do not have a kitchen, food trucks stop in from time to time, providing you with the opportunity to get some delicious food. The prices were comparable to other craft beer joints around the country with a pint costing around $5.00. Score: 3.5/5
- Ambiance – Despite it being well in to the night and a mostly full house, the atmosphere here was very relaxed, with a sense of openness and camaraderie. Endeavor has several televisions on the walls and appears to love having people over for sporting events. When there aren’t any games on don’t fret! They have trivia nights and several board games in the tap room for you to enjoy over a few pints. I really enjoyed the feel of this place and would frequent their taproom often if I lived in Columbus. Score: 4/5
- Location – A little bit north of downtown Columbus and just down the road from Ohio State University campus, the area appeared to be a mix of restaurants and housing, with restaurants and bars rubbing shoulders with small businesses and apartments. The area is amenable to walking around should you wish to venture out from the brewery, with plenty of places to eat and drink if the food truck du jour does not tickle your fancy. Parking is ample, with a nice big lot next door and plenty of street parking. I think they picked a good spot being so close to campus, offering options to people venturing out from downtown and for students. Score: 3/5
- Customer Service – Only one bar keep was holding down the fort when I ventured in with a group of friends, but that did not stop him from providing us with quick and friendly service. He chatted us up while pouring our drinks and made us feel quite welcome, adding a cherry on top of a delightful brewery visit. Score: 4/5
Total Score: 18/25
Final Thoughts: Columbus was two for two on great brewery experiences while I was in town. Endeavor combines excellently crafted beer with a well thought out and designed brewery to create a place I would recommend stopping in if you are ever in town. Have a nitro stout and enjoy a few World Cup games with friends while you are there!