I managed to squeeze in a few of my favorites when I was back in Ft. Collins, and Equinox Brewing Company was the next stop on that list. A cozy and, in my opinion, underrated brewery in downtown FoCo, this was the first brewery I ever went to when I moved here, and it was love at first sip. So sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy this review of another Colorado favorite of mine.
- Beer – With a litany of celestial names, there beers range from dark as a black hole to light as the sun, and everything in between. They have 18 taps and manage to keep them all filled with some excellent quality beer. While they have some year-round beers, it was always fun to come in and see what was new on tap and give it a try. All around they have good quality and variety on tap. Score: 4/5
- Brewery – A small and cozy tap room with lots of brick and wood elements, this was one of my favorite places to sit during the winter and watch the snow fall through the large front windows. The tap room consists of a variety of table and booth seating, all wrapping around a central bar. Out back is a small patio area that is perfect in the summer. While they do not have a kitchen, there are food trucks on Fridays and Saturdays and plenty of restaurants close by. Their hours range from lunchtime to early evening, a little longer on the weekends, with prices that are reasonable for the Colorado craft beer scene. Score: 3.5/5
- Ambiance and Entertainment – Live music every week is their main draw for this category, and I can say from experience that it is a great evening sitting on the patio, sipping beer, and listening to whichever artist is on display. Aside from that, they also host a few themed parties and fundraisers at the brewery and have a bunch of board and card games that can be borrowed. There are no televisions, so don’t plan to go there if you were hoping to watch a game. Score: 3.5/5
- Location – Is there anywhere in downtown Ft. Collins that is not a good spot to be? Tons of other breweries, restaurants, bars, and shops surround Equinox. The river is a short walk away, as are numerous parks and other outdoor activities. The city is extremely bike friendly, though if you drive there are plenty of street parking spots and a garage close by, as well as a decent public transit system. Score: 4.5/5
- Customer Service – I’ve always had a pleasant experience every time I’ve stopped in. There’s no table service, but without a kitchen that makes plenty of sense. The staff is friendly, and they are quick to take and pour orders, even with a full house, and they have made some great recommendations on beers to try every time I go. Score: 4/5
Total Score: 19.5/25
Favorite Beer: Space Ghost – 6.4% IPA
Final Thoughts: Equinox is an all-around great brewery with delicious beer and a cozy tap room, and I highly recommend visiting if you are in the area. Some of my favorite memories from FoCo were in this brewery, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.